Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

.That list has been whittled down

• 1341 posts
    November 17, 2018 11:10 AM EET

SEATTLE -- Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander couldnt settle things Wednesday night, so slugger Nelson Cruz decided the outcome with his bat. Cheap Air Max Shoes With Free Shipping .Cruz hit his 28th homer in the eighth inning after Hernandez and Verlander dueled through the first seven, and the Seattle Mariners beat the Detroit Tigers 3-1 to complete a three-game sweep.Cruz hit a 1-1 pitch from Justin Wilson (2-4) over the batters eye 421 feet away to help the Mariners get their season-high sixth straight victory.Hes always aggressive with the fastball, Cruz said. I looked for something I could hit.Hernandez and Verlander each pitched seven innings of one-run ball in a battle of former Cy Young Award winners. Hernandez struck out eight and allowed three hits and four walks, while Verlander allowed seven hits and two walks and struck out six.It was what it was billed to be, Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said. Two very good pitchers going at it, Felix and (Verlander), and they both pitched outstanding. The difference was the eighth inning.Leonys Martin added an insurance run on an RBI single later in the eighth. That gave Nick Vincent more of a cushion to finish the game, and he got his second save filling in for closer Edwin Diaz, who needed to rest.Hernandez was lifted after throwing a season-high 117 pitches, and Verlander also had a season high with 121. Both knew they had to work long into the game to protect their bullpens after a 15-inning contest on Tuesday.Hernandez had trouble in his previous four starts with the first inning, allowing a combined nine runs. He retired the side 1-2-3 to begin Wednesday.About time, Hernandez said. I just tried to make better pitches in the first inning. Facing a great lineup, facing a great pitcher, your level, you have to raise it up. You just have to challenge them.Instead, Verlander flinched in the first, allowing Robinson Cano to tag him for his 25th homer on a 1-2 changeup.I knew, based on (Tuesday), my pitch count limit was probably a little higher than it normally would be, Verlander said. And thats to be expected, thats what I want, thats what I needed tonight. Those guys battled. It was a combination of those guys battling and fouling off some tough pitches, and me not being as consistent as I would like early in the game.All of a sudden you look up and find yourself with 75 or so pitches after four, and thats not very conducive of going deep in the game. I was happy to go out and get through seven innings and not have our bullpen come in too early, because they were pretty taxed last night.Arquimedes Caminero (1-0) pitched the eighth and earned the victory.BULLPEN BACKUPAfter Tuesdays game in which 16 combined pitchers were used, both the Tigers and Mariners added to their bullpens. The Mariners promoted RHP Jarrett Grube from Triple-A Tacoma, and OF Guillermo Heredia was optioned out while SS Luis Sardinas was designated for assignment. The Tigers called up RHP Warwick Saupold from Triple-A Toledo, placing OF Cameron Maybin (left thumb sprain) on the 15-day disabled list.CUPPING `DEFINITELY WORKSTigers reliever Alex Wilson is amused by Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps and other athletes who have embraced cupping, a treatment that involves applying glass or plastic cups to the area of discomfort and either applying heat or suction to create a vacuum.Its pretty common (in baseball), Wilson said. Id say at least the last five, six years. It definitely works.He picked it up in Boston three years ago watching Koji Uehara and Junichi Tazawa do it.I think every swimmer and gymnast have cup marks on them now, he said. Its kind of fun to watch.TRAINERS ROOMTigers: The club placed OF Cameron Maybin on the DL (sprained left thumb) before the game, retroactive to Aug. 4. ... RHP Bruce Rondon missed the series to be with his wife about to deliver a baby. He will join the team Friday in Texas. ... RHP Shane Greene (oblique strain) should be ready to pitch again by Friday.Mariners: LHP Charlie Furbush, on the DL all season, will have rotator cuff surgery Tuesday. His recovery time is 12 to 18 months. ... LHP James Paxton, hit on the left elbow by a line drive Aug. 7, is moving along at a good pace, manager Scott Servais said. No determination has been made when he will start again. He needs to play catch and have a bullpen session to see how it holds up.UP NEXTTigers: RHP Anibal Sanchez (6-11, 5.88) pitches in the opener of a series against Texas on Friday. Hell face righty Yu Darvish (2-3, 2.78).Mariners: LHP Ariel Miranda (1-0, 6.00) worked one inning -- and was the winning pitcher -- in Tuesdays 15-inning victory. That shouldnt prevent him from starting against the As on Friday. He has had three appearances since his acquisition from Baltimore July 31. Air Max Discount . At a news conference Tuesday where it was thought that the fiery Schallibaum may be shown the door after a dismal finish to the Major League Soccer season, team president Joey Saputo said no decision has been made on whether the Swiss Volcano will be back in 2014. Cheap Air Max Shoes Online . All of the scoring came in the final 20:04. Lucic scored on a power play at 15:46 of the third period, when he tipped a shot over Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen for a 3-1 lead. http://www.cheapairmaxdiscount.com/ ;. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks was fined $15,570 by the NFL on Wednesday for his hit on Saints quarterback Drew Brees last Sunday.Bolton chairman Ken Anderson has revealed the interview process for a new manager has started as the club prepares for life in Sky Bet League One. Jimmy Phillips has been in interim charge since Neil Lennon left the club last month, but Boltons relegation from the Championship was confirmed by Saturdays 4-1 defeat at Derby.Bolton are now facing life in the third tier of English football for the first time since 1993 after a season of turmoil at the Macron Stadium. The Trotters faced a winding-up order from HMRC over unpaid taxes, changed ownership and are currently working under a Football League transfer embargo.Bolton have won only four league games all season but Anderson has urged supporters to stick together with the club now under the ownership of the Sports Shield group.Its now time to look forward, not back, Anderson said in a statement on the official Bolton website.Whilst this continues to be an extremely challenging and difficult time for us all, it is imperative that we stick together and believe that we will come out the other side a better and stronger football club.Bolton Wanderers have a fantastic history and a loyal fan base. We very much have to look to put any past differences behind us, embrace everything that we have going for us and move forward together.I understand that words can only mean so much at this moment in time and that we, the new board, will ultimately be judged on our actions.Were not shying away from that fact and we accept thhat there are going to be a lot of difficult decisions to make, both on and off the pitch, as we prepare for life in the third tier. Discount Air Max Shoes Wholesale China. One of the pressing issues for the new board is to find a new manager and Anderson said over 50 applications for the vacancy have been reduced to single numbers.I personally have already had a high level of applicants for the job, said Anderson.We have had over 50 applications, which shows just in how much high regard our club is held.That list has been whittled down to single figures and our process of interviewing the candidates is already well under way.We want to hit the ground running next season, which is why we are getting these building blocks in place.We want to roll our sleeves up and be positive right from the off, play an attractive style of football and really take the game to our opponents.Were working tirelessly to try and get the transfer embargo lifted - that is obviously paramount in our planning.We also have a number of key relationships and agreements in place with teams in the top flight with an eye on what we can possibly do in the loan market.This is a fresh start for us all. Weve been working on this plan for some time - were now in the process of putting it into action.There is a lot of hard work ahead and we have to be on this journey together. Also See: Bolton video Bolton fixtures Bolton stats Jerseys NFL China Cheap Adidas NHL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys From China Cheap MLB Jerseys Wholesale China JerseysNFL Jerseys China Discount Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys China China NCAA Jerseys Cheap Cheap Nike Dolphins Jerseys Cheap Nike Patriots Jerseys Cheap Nike Jets Jerseys Cheap Nike Bengals Jerseys Cheap Nike Browns Jerseys Cheap Nike Steelers Jerseys Cheap Nike Texans Jerseys Cheap Nike Colts Jerseys Cheap Nike Jaguars Jerseys Cheap Nike Titans Jerseys Cheap Nike Broncos Jerseys ' ' '