Forums » Suggestions

27. His retirement came just a year afte

• 1341 posts
    November 9, 2018 10:03 AM EET

OAKVILLE, Ont. Cheap FC Bayern Munich Jerseys . -- Brandt Snedeker has had his eye on the RBC Canadian Open title for some time. The early arrival of a baby in Texas helped make it happen. Snedeker moved to the top of the field after second-round leader Hunter Mahan withdrew when his wife unexpectedly went into labour, and held on Sunday for his second victory of the season and the sixth of his career. Mahan, who had a two-stroke lead at 13 under through 36 holes, rushed home to be with wife Kandi, who gave birth to daughter Zoe early Sunday. "Zoe will be getting a very nice baby gift from me. I cant thank Kandi enough for going into labour early. I dont know if Id be sitting here if she hadnt," Snedeker said with a laugh after shooting a final-round 70 to finish 16 under. "But that is a way more important thing than a golf tournament. I missed a golf tournament when my first was born, and it was the best decision I ever made. Im sure Hunter would say the same thing." Dustin Johnson (70), Matt Kuchar (71), William McGrit (68) and Jason Bohn (71) tied for second at 13 under behind Snedeker, who said winning the PGA Tours only stop north of the border is special for a number of reasons. "This is a tournament I said early on in my career I wanted to win just because my caddie is actually from Canada and its his national open. It meant a lot to him, meant a lot to me," said the 32-year-old from Nashville. "Third oldest tournament on Tour and its got some great history to it, and now to put my name on that trophy, it means a lot." After a Saturday that saw a number of players score in the mid-60s thanks to a calm morning and a soggy afternoon, Glen Abbey Golf Club bit back with breezy conditions at the suburban course some 40 kilometres west of Toronto. "The wind was blowing very hard. Every fairway was tough to hit, every green was getting firm. It placed an importance on managing your golf ball," Snedeker said. "I was able to hit some quality shots coming down the stretch when I needed to and put the ball in the right spot." Snedeker, who pocketed $1,008,000 of the tournaments $5.6-million purse, also won the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am in February and is finally healthy after a bothersome rib injury. "First part of the year, I couldnt do anything wrong. I was playing fantastic, and I got injured. I feel like Ive been fighting to get myself back to the way I was at the beginning of the year," said Snedeker. "Im not saying Im there, but Im close to the way I was playing in the beginning of the year." Snedeker, the 2012 FedEx Cup champion whose best-ever finish at a Canadian Open was a tie for fifth at Glen Abbey in 2009, was 1 under on the day after the front nine and birdied No. 10 to move to 16 under overall. He gave that shot back on No. 12, but birdied No. 16 and parred No. 17 and No. 18 to secure the victory. "It feels great to get a win to validate all the hard work Ive put in over the past three months where I havent played my best," Snedeker said. "To win a tournament like this with those pivotal holes coming down the stretch means a lot." Johnson started the day in a group three shots back of Snedeker and fought his way into a share of the lead, only to see the wheels fall off in spectacular fashion at No. 17 with a triple bogey that started with an errant drive. "I was playing really well," Johnson said. "Really confident, swinging the driver really good. So you know, its a driver hole for me, and I just blocked it a little bit, made a poor swing." John Merrick, who tied a course record on Friday with a 62, shot 71 to finish in a tie for sixth at 12 under. David Lingmerth started the day in the final group a shot back Snedeker but ended up with a 75 to finish in a tie for 12th at 10 under. David Hearn of Brantford, Ont., was the top Canadian at the par-72, 7,253-yard course with a final-round 73 to finish at 4 under. The 34-year-old had three birdies on Sunday to go along with two bogeys and double bogey to finish in a tie for 44th. "It wasnt the finish that I was really looking for. I had a nice chance today," said Hearn, who was also the low Canadian at the tournament back in 2006. "Ill take away some positives from the week. I appreciate the support from everyone here this week and it always feels good to play at home." Mike Weir of Brights Grove, Ont., shot an even-par 72 to finish tied for 49th at 3 under. The 43-year-olds tournament highlight came in Fridays second round when he fired 67 to briefly get into contention. "Im playing fine. Just missing too many short putts. I missed a number the last couple days inside six, seven feet, just missing way too many of those," said Weir, who made his first cut at a Canadian Open since 2009. "You need those to keep your round going sometimes and I just didnt capitalize when I had opportunities. "I had one good day of putting and the rest not very good." Roger Sloan of Merritt, B.C., had an up-and-down day that culminated with three straight birdies to wind up with a final-round 72 in a tie for 52nd at 2 under. The 26-year-old plays on the Web.com Tour but showed he can compete alongside some of golfs best. "The PGA Tour is not way up there anymore. Its just within grasp," Sloan said. "Its comforting to know if I stick to the process and stay committed to what Im doing, Im going to be out here soon." Notes: Snedeker now sits third in the FedEx Cup standings behind Tiger Woods and Kuchar. ... McGrit also finished tied for second at last years Canadian Open at The Hamilton Golf and Country Club. ... The last Canadian to win this countrys national open was English-born Pat Fletcher in 1954. The only Canadian-born golfer to win the tournament was Karl Keffer (1909, 1914). Albert Murray, a Canadian also born in England, won in 1908 and 1913. ... 2012 RBC Canadian Open champion Scott Piercy (71) finished tied for 52nd. ... The 2014 tournament will be played at Royal Montreal. Cheap Liverpool FC Jerseys . Francis told several hundred members of the European Olympic Committees that when sport "is considered only in economic terms and consequently for victory at every cost . Cheap Costa Rica Jerseys . LOUIS -- The New Orleans Saints looked like a team playing out the string. http://www.cheapsoccerjerseysoutlet.com/?tag=cheap-egypt-jerseys ;. Pettersen, winner of last years Evian Championships, had nine birdies and three bogeys, holding off a series of challengers led by Marion Ricordeau of France. The second-ranked Norwegian made her season debut after missing the LPGA Tours opening event last month in the Bahamas because of a shoulder injury. With Formula One champion Nico Rosberg stunning the world by retiring less than a week after winning his first title, ESPN got to thinking -- is this the most shocking retirement in sporting history?So we put our heads together and came up with a shortlist to compete with the German driver. Read through the nominees below then vote for what you think was the most shocking.Sir Alex Ferguson (football)On May 8, 2013, with a 13th Premier League title in the bag, Ferguson told the world he was finally calling it a day as Manchester United manager. In an Old Trafford reign that spanned four decades, Ferguson also won two Champions League titles, five FA Cups and four League Cups, as well as the Cup Winners Cup, Super Cup, Intercontinental Cup and Club World Cup. United have not been the same since, winning just one FA Cup since the legendary Scots departure.Bjorn Borg (tennis)From teenage sensation to world No. 1, the Swede became the first male player to win 11 Grand Slam singles titles -- including five straight Wimbledon crowns -- during one of the toughest Open Era periods. Widely considered to be one of the greatest ever players, Borg shocked the world when he called time on his career aged just 26. He attempted a brief comeback during the early 1990s but the less said about that, the better...Rocky Marciano (boxing)The most famous of the handful of world champions who retired undefeated and resisted the temptation of a comeback -- and the only heavyweight world champion to achieve such a feat. The Brockton Blockbuster, who ended Joe Louis career in 1951, first won the world title in 1952 and retained it a further six times before he shocked the world in April 1956, retiring with a perfect record of 49 wins from 49 fights (with 43 knockouts). Aged just 32, the American wanted to spend more time with his family but his life was cut tragically short when he died in a plane crash on the eve of his 46th birthday.Bobby Jones (golf)Way back in 1930, the grandfather of golf became the first and only golfer to win the Grand Slam in the pre-Masters era, capturing the U. Cheap Croatia Jerseys. S. Open, Open Championship, U.S. Amateur and Amateur Championship in the same season. He immediately hung up his hickory-shafted clubs, deciding to compete only at The Masters -- a tournament he co-founded but, incidentally, never won.Michael Jordan (NBA)I just feel I dont have anything else, in myself, to prove. With that, Jordan walked away from the Chicago Bulls and the NBA. At the age of 30, the player who had done most to transform not only his franchise, but the league, called it quits, just four months after winning a third successive NBA title. Jordan would return -- and win another three-peat of championships -- but that doesnt alter just how seismic his original announcement was.Barry John (rugby)The pressures of living in a goldfish bowl convinced John to walk away from rugby union in 1972, aged just 27. His retirement came just a year after he had guided the British & Irish Lions to a series win over New Zealand, and he departed as Wales record points scorer. Johns elegant playmaking is still used as a blueprint for fly-half play in the principality.Barry Sanders (NFL)The Detroit Lions running-backs retirement was as much controversial as it was shocking. And it got very messy. Sanders was heavily criticised for retiring two years into a $35.4 million, six-year contract in July 1999. The Lions demanded that Sanders returned $5.5m of the $11m singing on bonus he was given, and sued him when he refused. Sanders was ordered to repay $1.83m -- a sixth of the bonus -- with the remaining bonus to be repaid over each of the three years Sanders had left on the contract provided he stayed retired. He did.ESPNs Alex Perry, Martyn Thomas, Rob Bartlett and Liam Grace contributed to this article. Cheap Nike NFL JerseysCheap Adidas Hockey Jerseys Wholesale Nike Baseball Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys From China Wholesale Jerseys China Wholesale NFL Jerseys China Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap Nike NBA Jerseys Authentic Cheap NHL Jerseys Canada Cheap Nike MLB Jerseys Cheap Soccer Jerseys China NCAA Jerseys Cheap Nike NHL Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys Store Cheap Football Jerseys Store Wholesale Soccer Jerseys Jerseys NCAA China Jerseys NFL Cheap Cheap Nike NBA Jerseys ' ' '